The memes about gaining weight during quarantine are everywhere. I’ve laughed out loud at a few of them but at the same time I don’t love the message they are sending. I’m not saying we shouldn’t post them, humour is more important than ever, but I do think we need to be careful what thoughts we allow to infiltrate our minds.
You don’t need to worry about your weight. I give you permission to put your scale away for the duration of this quarantine. What you should be more concerned with is your overall health physically and mentaly. Social-isolation may have you feeling down, lonely and anxious. These are normal and appropriate feelings that need to be addressed for the sake of your health. Interestingly enough, one of the side effects of taking care of yourself is that your body will naturally want to settle at its healthiest place. This may include weight-loss/ weight gain.
Planning to sit on the couch binging on chips and mini-eggs may be fun for a day, or two, but after that you’re going to feel tired, irritable and stagnant. Rather than going head first into a bag of Doritos, I recommend eating lots of nutrient dense foods like veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds, meat and healthy fats. Guess what? You can have some Doritos and mini-eggs along with your nutrient dense meal. This is not the time for all or nothing.
This is the time to treat our bodies with the respect they deserve so that our immune systems are supported and ready for what comes. Here are my recommendations:
- GO OUTSIDE. If your city is still allowing citizens to go for walks I suggest getting out at least 2x a day for 30+ minutes if not longer. Remember to follow social distancing guidelines and avoid crowded places.
- DRINK WATER: You can still enjoy wine, pop, juice etc… but make sure your main choice of liquid is water. Staying hydrated will ensure your body is able to do it’s best work when needed.
- ENJOY SOME DOWN TIME: Your day does not have to follow a strict schedule. It’s ok to plan for some rest. In a matter of days our entire society, that glorified busyness, is now being forced to slow down and pay attention to what truly matters. Read that book, take that nap!
- FOCUS ON MACRONUTRIENT BALANCED MEALS. I realize not all grocery stores are stocked so just do your best to include carbohydrates, protein and fat at each meal/snack. Your plate may not look like it did before but your body still needs all three macronutrients!
- ENJOY FRESH PRODUCE WHEN POSSIBLE! Fruits and veggies contain many of the important nutrients our bodies need to function. Now is not the time to give them up!
We will get through this and hopefully come out the other side more appreciative of the lives we lead, who cares what you weigh!